Sunday, July 3, 2011

Love Actually

Share it Please
I know I should not be sleeping late last night, but I can't resist watching a movie on a Saturday night. So here's what I've written at 4:00am this morning:

Love Actually

Saturday at home has been movie/series watching for me for the past few weeks. And tonight, I picked movies from my VCD list and actually watched two: Cutting Edge 2, which I think I've watched many times in the past, and Love Actually, the VCD that I haven't touched for years I guess. So let me just share to you some of my thoughts about the movie.
It was a movie that you would guess easily that the characters would be connected to each other as the story progresses(the poster contained quite a number of major personalities). Yes, their lives where intertwined in the entire movie (one character is a relative, another is a friend etc.), but each of their stories were given a chance to stand on its own. Some were so-so, but they were those that for me stood out from the others. And as for me I really liked the story of the Prime Minister (Hugh Grant), the writer (colin firth), and the bride (Keira Knightley).
The Prime Minister
There might be a little bias in here since I'm crushing on Hugh Grant, but the story was just too familiar for me since this is about how two people are hesitant to say what they feel because of certain things that they consider in life, which in this case, the status of the Prime Minister. I found the scene wherein the Prime Minister was doing his rounds just to find Natalie's house and talk to her. And then he end up being dragged to a school show where they ended up kissing in public. Story was really simple yet complicated because of their social status, and I actually love how Natalie is always casual with being true to her feelings with the Prime Minister even in the public eye (She was adorable when she jumped right into Hugh at the airport lol).
The Writer
It was weird at first that the two characters in this segment were talking yet they don't understand each other. It's like their guessing what the other is saying. Yet when you read the subtitle they fit. The catchy part for me here was the scene where Jamie asked Aurelia to marry her, in Portuguese. And then the girl suddenly answered in English. Quite sweet huh :) This story just captured the entire message that in love, even language or cultural difference can be overcomed.

The Bride
The line that got me in this story is Mark's line: "That was actually self preservation". Mark was actually unfriendly with Keira, the fiance of his bestfriend. Keira thought Mark just hated her. And then she found out that the video recorded by the guy during the wedding was all her. And on Christmas Eve, here goes Mark admitting that for him, she was perfect. It was a unrequited love yes, and I can actually relate with Mark. It's easier to build that wall for self defense especially when you know things wont no longer work the way you want it to be (she's already going to be married, worse, to his bestfriend). But at least in the end, he was able to still say it. Then like he said: "Enough already" :)
Oh I found the story about the Sam (Liam Neeson's stepson) interesting too. I just wanted to note that like in the story, it's always easy to assume things. Like when Sam don't want to admit his feelings to the girl for he fears rejection, even thinking that the girl doesn't know his name. And yet he was wrong, and that the girl actually likes her. Good thing his stepfather supported him all the way. He was able to do something before the girl left :)
Through the entire movie, aside from gushing from the kilig moments, I find it interesting that it was actually the girls that are always saying their feelings first and then the guys doing the follow through in most of the segments. Natalie giving the card with her admission, Aurelia kissing Jamie before she walked away, Mia seducing her boss (this might not be in a good way but still) and the girl in the adult film saying "all i want for christmas is you" to the guy. I never had the guts to be that blunt and I was just wondering if things would have worked if something like that is done. But in any case, our culture is not into that (or it's just me, the a girl who is always in denial and pessimistic when it comes to guys). I had my few shares of "almost" and I want to have that happy love story someday. And I hope that when that time comes, I would be brave enough to say that "Hey I'm in love..actually." ;)

2 comments:

ledabrigino said...

i know i love this movie! but, sa sobrang dami ng love stories in one movie, di ko mashado maalala lahat. haha! maybe I should watch this again :)

sally said...

ate leds!oo nga es sabay-sabay yung hinihintay mong ending. pero yup, like ko tong movie. mas okay pa nga ata to kesa sa Valentine's Day (though yung kay Julia Roberts + yung kay Taylor Lautner na lang naalala ko na story dun eh haha!)

Post a Comment

All Time Popular Posts

GFC Followers